Thursday, December 19, 2013

Romancing the Real World...

In this world of tech savvy readers and writers it's hard sometimes to gain the interest of fans. With so many wonderful romance writers the competition is large and wide. But the wonderful thing is that as a writer we get to write our own niche. We get to change the world of writing because if you are your own person then that's your niche. I've talked to many fans that say you've got to be different to stand out. Well, maybe your writing is different. Some publishers say go with what's popular, but what you really need to do is stand out in the crowd. If you want to write about cowboys and everyone else is writing about vampires then go for it. Make your voice heard loud and clear. Give it your whole heart. As for me I write mostly about cowboys and horses. That's my niche and my fans follow that niche, thank goodness. I've got a couple of books that don't include cowboys, but only a couple. Cowboys are what's comfortable for me and inspire me, so with me you know what you're getting. But I do try to go a little different in the angles of my stories. Take for instance my newest Christmas book, Open The Heart. It has a handsome cowboy, horses and romance, but it's based in snowy Switzerland on the side of a mountain in the Alps. That's a niche in its self. So carve out your niche and make it spectacular. Give it your whole heart, not someone elses. Write about what you love and it will show. Today's reader is complex and they're looking for that special romance that will warm their heart and in some instances curl their toes. Some readers want hot, steamy sex scenes, but others just want that warm fuzzy feeling you get from a real world romance. That's what I try to carry on to my readers. A romance that could actually happen. Something real and reachable. Try it and you'll be rewarded with smiles. As always, good writing and May God Bless You...

No comments:

Post a Comment