Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Picking the right cover photo

I know I've harped on this before but I can't stress enough the importance of a great cover. I was looking at some of the new books on Amazon and to tell you the truth a couple of the covers were non imaginative. They were just bland and didn't exactly go with the book description. But of course there were some that I was just stunned at the creativity and dare I say 'beauty'. Your book cover is the first thing potential readers see. If you go the extra mile it will help you tremendously. Like right now I'm scanning photos for my newest work in progress. I have in my mind what I want and it has to be perfect. I've looked at thousands of photos and let me tell you, it's a lot of work, but the payoff makes it worth it. If your cover doesn't fit the book, why even go there. If you write a Christmas romance and put a Easter bunny on it, well you get the picture. Don't give away too much with your cover either. This means don't put a picture of the ending on the cover. If all the way through the book you keep the reader in the dark about if the couple is going to marry or get pregnant, you might not want to put them in a wedding dress or looking pregnant. But then again that could increase sales. Sometimes it's a catch 22, you just have to know how to make it work. Also, one last thing that's a huge, big piece of advice. For next to nothing you can purchase a picture from a reputable site and make it really pop. Don't just pull something from the family photos and make it work, unless it really goes with the book. I use several sites, but my favs are bigstockphoto.com and istockphoto.com. There are several, but these are the two I use. As always, good writing and may God Bless You... By the way, don't forget that my publishing service designs great covers. Check out the tab above for Horseshoe Publishing on my main blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment