Sunday, January 12, 2014

Yes, I talk to Myself, Don't you?

As a child I was always taught that you didn't talk to yourself because someone would think you were weird. Umm, well, I guess that philosophy was lost on me. My son told me the other day that he was looking for homes to put me in. As I tried to explain to him when he caught me arguing with myself, yes I know, that's a little overboard, but I'm a writer. That's my story and I'm sticking to it :) Sometimes when I'm writing and trying to work out a story line I say it out loud. The only problem with that is I most of the time write while in the room with my husband and son. I catch myself hashing out an argument with my characters and I start arguing out loud. Then I realize that I'm not alone. I usually turn to see my son and hubby looking at me like I've completely lost it. I just grin and start excitedly telling them what the argument was all about and that's when they roll their eyes and wave me off. They don't get into romance. Now if I wrote a romance about a fisherman or hunter maybe, but not my kind. Now you can't say you haven't fussed at your computer out loud, or hashed out a story out loud. It's just easier for me to read a part of the story out loud. It makes it sound different than in my head. I guess it's like I filter it when I silently read, I don't know. I do try to hold back when I'm in the general public. Although sometimes when I'm somewhere and a story hits me I'll laugh out and say something like, "Ooh that'd make a great one" or "Yikes I shouldn't have killed her off." Yeah, that last line really clears an aisle at the grocery store. Could this be why most writers are loners? What's bad is when I'm talking to myself and then start answering myself? My son has started just turning and leaving me alone with myself. I was so lost in a story line the other day that I didn't even realize I was actually doing a crazy giggling sound and some sort of clicking of my tongue. My son finally tapped me and asked if I needed medication. I just waved him away after giving him a look. So, do you talk to yourself? Come on you know you do. As always, good writing and May God Bless You...

No comments:

Post a Comment