Wednesday, January 22, 2014

When Writing A Death Scene...

I've been working on a piece that includes death scene. I'm not talking about a shooting or stabbing death, but a death caused by cancer. Death scenes can be tricky, especially in these circumstances. If you're having a character killed off you just have them shot or stabbed and there's a moment of dying then that's it. But in this instance the character is in a hospital spending her last moments with her loving husband. Yeah, I cried all the way through writing the scene which took several days. It was mentally and physically draining. The scene spanned a chapter or two as this was a pivotal point of the story line. It sets the scenarios for the rest of the book. And no it's not a tear jerker all the way through. It's a really sweet romance from start to finish. The main character is just such an amazing man. He's so full of Faith, family and love that you can't help but fall in love with him. I've cried with him, laughed with him and now it's at another pivotal life changing event and I've just sat and sighed with him. Let's just say it's going to pull you up in your seat. In a death scene such as this, you have to be careful. I wanted the death scene to flow easily but not too quickly. The emotions and the last words are pivotal in the mechanics of the main characters decisions later on. Yes, I even put some romance in the death scene which is hard to do, but with these two it's easy. Their love was immense and totally empowering. It's also a little eye opening for my own life. I've lost so many family and friends to cancer so it was a little sad. It also made me think of my own immortality. How would I handle my last minutes on earth? Could I be as brave as Rachel? Would I be a complete mess? How would I handle my last moments with my child and my husband? It's something to think about. I spent a little time digging into my own heart. It was a reality check for sure. As always, good writing and May God Bless you...

No comments:

Post a Comment