Thursday, January 30, 2014

Unlikely Heros during a bad situation in Georgia

I know, you're saying 'not a big deal', but Georgia doesn't see this often and especially the ice and 8 degree temps. At least we haven't lost power. I'm just glad I don't work in Atlanta. If you've seen the news, then you know what happened with the traffic. It was horrible and I heard so many horror stories of the 16 to 22 hours sitting on the interstate. I'm having a panic attack just thinking about it. Well that puts me to my topic for today. I couldn't believe it as I watched the horror unfold Tuesday night on TV. People were stuck on the interstates all around and children were stranded at school. The worst was those that did manage to get on buses and the bus getting stranded. It's amazing the hero's that show up during these situations. Our wonderful law officers always step up to the plate and those that are in the emergency management positions, but I'm talking about just everyday people. I'm going to hit on some of the ones that moved me as I watched the stories. The teachers that were stranded with the children. To me that's heroism. You may not think so, but those parents that were at home had a little bit of relief that those teachers were there. They stayed with those children and fixed meals, entertained them and were their parents for several hours. It's hard to imagine what had to be going through their minds. I can't even comprehend it. They were true heros and stepped up to the plate. Then I heard of so many going out on foot to those stranded on the interstates. They showed several passing out hot chocolate and others handing out snack bars and water. Even a couple were handing out toilet paper. Things that we take for granted, these people had none of this. I'm sure they were thankful for whatever they could get. One guy even handed out fruit snacks for the children that were stranded in the cars with their families. You know it had to be hard on all of them. A lot of the stranded drivers were truck drivers. They even stepped up letting people get in their warm cabs to get warmth. Then you have those that stepped up and risked their lives by helping people get their cars out of ditches or unstuck. Even Chipper Jones, a former Atlanta Braves player helped out. It's amazing the amount of compassion that was shown during this. Also a big shout out to the many stores that opened up their doors to those stranded motorists. People were sleeping in the aisles of grocery stores, card stores and others. It just goes to show that in a bad situation, people step up to the plate. They may not consider themselves heros, but to those that they helped they're Superman or Wonderwoman. It touched me. I counted myself lucky that my family was safely tucked in at home by the fire. We still have no school and my hubby is here on standby. As for me, I'm working at my kitchen table where it's warm. That's the nice thing about having my office beside my house. I can telecommute. So if you know of someone who has been helpful in this crazy winter, give them a shout out. As always, good writing and May God Bless You...

No comments:

Post a Comment