Friday, November 1, 2013

Being whatever we want to be...

Image
I'm a big kid, not just at Halloween as you can see, but in everyday life. My way of thinking is this, if we stay a child at heart how can you grow old. I know in numbers I'm almost 45, but in my heart I still get giddy at Halloween, Christmas and all the other holidays. My heart still pounds when I see buckets of candy. Well, that could be the chocolate rush, but it still beats harder with excitement.
Last night was our annual Church Trunk or Treat and it was a blast. We had so many children come through and they were very creative with their costumes. It was wonderful to see all my little Children's Church peeps and the many guests dressed in their favorite theme or character. Of course being the Children's Minister it's only right that I go all out with my costume and my decorations. I included my sons pumpkin on the tailgate with balloons, posters and buckets over flowing with candy. The weather held up for our celebration.
As a writer you can be whatever you want to. You can be that character and feel that characters happiness, sadness, anger, love or whatever they feel. We are able to change the ending, making it what we want. Why wouldn't anyone want to be a writer? Well for one thing it's not as easy as it looks.
You have a story come into your mind. At first you think, this is going to be easy. You may sit down and write the story in your head and then realize it only lasted 5 pages. As a writer you have to expand that story. The descriptions have to be expanded to allow the reader to be drawn in. Remember the story you hear in your head is real to you, but the reader doesn't have it in their head the way you do. You have to put it in their mind. We have to help the reader see it as we do, which means it has to be detailed out.
If you say, "I see a rolling green hill". Well the person reading this will only picture a hill of green grass. If you want them to see more then say it more like this. "As I sit here, I see a hill that goes beyond the eye. It is covered in wildflowers that are vibrant with color. The sky is dotted with a few fluffy white clouds and the blue is in deep contrast to the green grass. It is a breathtaking sight to behold." See how you draw in the reader and help them to see what you see.
Hope everyone had a safe Halloween and take it easy on the candy.
As always, good writing and May God Bless You...

No comments:

Post a Comment