Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Funny questions writer's are asked...

Image
photo credit: akahodag via photopin cc Ok, if you're a writer you know the questions I'm talking about. Sometimes I just have to laugh and try my best to answer the question in the best way I can as I laugh. It's funny the things that people think about writers. I had to post this picture because you know I love horses and these questions make them laugh too. Here are some of the zingers that have been asked of me: 1: My favorite is "Did you write that book from an experience you had in your own life? That's where most writers get their stories right?" Well, some of them have been from experiences but if my life was like a fairy tale, wow how would that be. Then I think of murder mystery writers and have to cringe. If all writing was strictly from personal experience the police would tail all writers obsessively! 2: Can you introduce me to your cover model? Really, you've got to be kidding me. I've never met any of my cover models. I did get a repin on Pinterest from one of them thanking me for using his picture on a couple of my covers. I was pleased, but I don't know him personally so no, I can't introduce you to my cover models. 3: You must be rich, huh? This one makes me laugh hard, really hard. Most published writers do it in their spare time and have a regular job. If not, we'd be really hungry artists. So, no, I'm not rich, not even close. I'm happy with my royalties and thankful to my wonderful fans, but I'm not quite ready to quit my day job. 4: So you can't get published for real? This one ticked me off the first couple of times I heard it, but then I realized that there are so many people who don't realize that a lot of authors do consider this a real business and take it seriously. This is a personal choice and I have been approached by publishers, but I am happy where I am for the time being. Then if it's someone I'm close to I stick my tongue out at them in a very unladylike fashion and laugh. It's become a really funny question as self publishing becomes the norm. So to me it's a funny question. 5: Can I have your autograph? Now this one stunned me. Then I laughed because I'm not famous and this seems a little crazy, but I was humbled by it too. But I did laugh because I don't think of it as being famous because I have several published books, but it's really funny when someone comes up to me in a store and says, hey you're that writer. What funny questions have people asked you? Some people might not think some of them are funny, but to a writer you'll find the humor in them. As always, good writing and May God Bless You...

No comments:

Post a Comment