Monday, October 28, 2013

Monday Morning's Second Cup

If you haven't noticed yet, it's Monday morning. Yes, I know, don't remind you.
Yesterday I went over one of my manuscripts in process. It's the 2nd book in the "Lean On Him" Christian Romance series. The name is "Faith Through The Tears" and tears are the main point. I've been working on another manuscript and decided to get back to this one. I read over the manuscript to get my mindset on it and was blown away at the emotions.
As I read the opening 1st chapter tears streamed down my cheeks. I couldn't help but get emotional. I don't know whether it stems from the emotional week I've had or what, but it affected me. Yes it's a romance, not a dramatic thriller, but the first chapter is to draw you into the story. I will attach some of the first chapter below for your opinion. It's funny but I have this whole book in my mind already. It's just the emotional strain that's made me walk away a couple of times.
Why does a fictional story evoke so much emotion? As a writer its like I know these people and what happens to them affects me. I feel like I've experienced the losses they have and the happiness they have. Maybe that's a sign of good emotional writing, I don't know, but I do know I'm keeping the tissues close as this one unfolds.
So, here's a excerpt from "Faith Through The Tears" :
As he watched her lying in the hospital bed, tears streamed down his face. It was so hard watching her like this. They knew this moment was coming, but it’d happened so quickly. The doctor confirmed that she was out of remission only a month ago. He told them it didn’t look good for another round of chemo. They prayed on it and decided not to even try any more treatments.
He held her hand and watched for any sign that she might be in pain. She was a real trooper. Luke and Amanda brought the girls by and Rachel held up the strong act. They tried to hide the extent of her illness from the kids. The girls were so strong. Audrey was five and Shelby six. Audrey’s lip began to quiver a little as she looked at her mommy lying so pale on the bed. Shelby was quiet as she kept her eyes on the floor. When she did look at Rachel it was plain that she was holding back tears. They were too small to lose their mother. He was too young to lose the love of his life.
The nurse came in and checked her IV bag. She looked at Randy and gave him a smile that said how sorry she was.  “Can I get you anything?” There was so much compassion in her eyes and the tone of her voice. She knew the same thing he knew. The time was near.
“Thank you, but I’m alright. I don’t think I could keep food down anyway.” He tried to smile, but it came off wobbly and moist from his tears. How could he even try to eat when his stomach was clenched in misery?
“If you need anything just buzz the nurse’s station. You’ll make yourself sick by not eating. You need to keep up your strength.” She gave him a reassuring squeeze on the shoulder and walked out. All the nurses knew him since he was on the police force. This was a small town and most of them went to their Church.
Their pastor and his wife had been wonderful. They took turns with Luke and Amanda watching the girls. The Church had even done a prayer vigil two days ago. He knew that God would do His will. He knew that Rachel was a good woman and had given her soul to the Lord a long time ago. She wasn’t afraid to die. They’d discussed and prayed about it on many occasions. The only fear she had was for him and the girls. Her eyes filled with tears just talking about the girls growing up.
Well, this was the unedited excerpt, hope you like it. Let me know your thoughts.
As always, good writing and May God Bless You...

No comments:

Post a Comment